PDA

View Full Version : Changes to the CSFM Fire Officers Cert

bigwhitedog
05-04-2009, 12:01
I was talking with one of my FF2's who is taking a behind load of classes and he mentioned that the state was changing the Fire Officers cert process. According to him, there will now be a certification test encompassing all classes taken required before you can be certified. Looking through the CSFM site, there is no mention of this but there is a line stating:

Fire/Chief Officer Certification Requirements
"The certification training standards for Fire Officer and Chief Officer have been updated and recently adopted by the State Fire Marshal. The new standards will require modifications to these two certification tracks. All SFT registered instructors, Regional Accredited Training Programs, and Local Accredited Academies impacted by these changes will be notified when these modifications will be implemented."

Has anybody heard about this? Can anybody point me toward some documentation on way or the other? I have a few of the classes required and plan on finishing the rest in the next 12 - 18 mos but do not want to have to take the ones I have all over again as a refresher!

Bou
05-04-2009, 14:12
Big White Hairy Dog- Here is what I know for sure- Send in your $65 and lock in your reqs. now.

Once you do this, they hold you to the established standards at time of lock in and it never changes for you. Trust me, its worth the $55 dollars.

Hope this helps.

Bou

Fortechfeo
05-04-2009, 15:05
You can lock in the Reqs? What is the min to lock in besides the fee?

Bou
05-04-2009, 15:10
All you have to do is cut the check with the CSFM application for the certificate desired and you are locked in.

Link- http://osfm.fire.ca.gov/training/pdf/FeeSchedule2009.pdf

Fortechfeo
05-04-2009, 15:14
I'm a little dense these days. Does not matter if you have all the classes yet or not? I'm going on a training binge in the fall to finish up my fire officer cert.

mill98
05-04-2009, 15:54
If you get yourself locked in now. Then any changes or new classes they add will not affect you in getting your FO cert.

I just got done taking Fire Prevention 1-B and the instructor mentioned that they are talking about adding a Fire Instructor 1-C course and also combinding Fire Command 1-B/1C...

Dunno, just rumors for now. Good to get locked in now.

Bou
05-04-2009, 15:55
Fortechfeo- The CSFM will gladly take your money and lock you in on any CSFM certs. Just fill out the application, (the link I posted above) cut the check and sent it in. You will be locked in on that cert until you complete all the reqs. and reviewed by the PACE committee.

Its that easy, just call them to confirm.

Hope this helps,

Bou

bigwhitedog
05-04-2009, 20:36
Big White Hairy Dog-
Hey! I'm not that hairy (well , okay, not any more) :o. I 'll have to post a picture of me from the 70's, now THAT was hairy!

Here is what I know for sure- Send in your $65 and lock in your reqs. now.

Once you do this, they hold you to the established standards at time of lock in and it never changes for you. Trust me, its worth the $55 dollars.

Hope this helps.

Bou

One of the other guys standing there at the time said the same thing and the firefighter (that started this conversation) said that "locked in or not, there will still be a new test". Now, know how we fire types are about facts vs rumors, I thought I would try and see if anybody else heard this before I tried to tackle the unmanned phone tree maze up in sacto

NorCalFF
05-04-2009, 20:52
There are changes coming in the SFM arena. If you still have the ability to lock in, I would do it now.

Fortechfeo
05-04-2009, 23:53
Copy...Navigate the CSFM puzzle palace and get a definate and then execute..

Bou
05-05-2009, 00:11
I heard it straight from a CSFM Rep's mouth and its always been that way with the PACE committee. You send in your check, get locked in, reviewed and cert. issued.

Fortechfeo
05-05-2009, 08:58
Yeah I was just always under the impression that I needed to have all certs in hand before submission. It is how I did FFT1 and Instructor 1

The other thing is certs for Instructor 1. You have till Sept I believe to lock in or they are going to make you take the new instructor 1 modules. That is 1a, 1b, and 1c. I liked the classes last time, but have no wanting to repeat training.

Bou
05-05-2009, 09:43
FF1 might be different, but as far as everything else on that list, once you are locked in, its set with no retro action.

I am a certified Instructor 1 as well and per my research (phone call), I do not need to take the new 1C class.

Bro- Once your locked in on a cert, its a done deal. You might want to call the CSFM to confirm this and any other questions. And the prices are not going down, so lock in the certs. you plan on completing early.

Fortechfeo
05-05-2009, 14:28
Lol..Be kind of fun...Yeah...Once you are instructor 1 you are cool. If you do not apply you are hosed...:) I'm looking into the officer's cert as we speak...(on hold) Fing riduculous. Why I try to keep quals in both structure and wildland I do not know.

NorCalFF
05-05-2009, 20:25
BOU - The PACE II committee no longer exists. Application review for instructor status, certifications etc, are left to staffers in the SFT office. They basically have a check sheet to follow. If you have all the right stuff, you get certified. If not, you get shot down. I'm not sure if the old system of "locking in" still exists. Since I deal with training issues daily, I would suggest you get what you can from SFT right now. There are changes coming.

slapinjoe
03-16-2010, 20:22
Any news on if more classes have been added to the Fire Officers cert? If I sent in my application and $65, what do they send you back? A taskbook? Thanks for any help.

FyreCapt
03-17-2010, 08:41
Sorry, other than I-300 and maybe command 1a, these classes are a waste of time. The majority of these classes should be for the FF rank. On top of that, the classes seem to be outdated.

I would really like to see my dept not require these classes to take the captain test as it does not gauge the individuals ability to command an incident...just another check box for your love me wall!!

mill98
03-18-2010, 11:05
If I sent in my application and $65, what do they send you back? A taskbook? Thanks for any help.

I did just that and about a month later. I get something from CFSM office w/ a carbon copy sheet w/ all the Fire Officer certs listed. A big squiggley line down all the boxes in the incomplete box (when I have half of the certs done).

That's all and nothing showing I'm locked in (is there a way to verify, other than maybe trying to get through w/ a phone call?)....:confused: Anyone else pay the fee and tried to get locked in and get verification of being so?

Another So Cal Guy
03-18-2010, 23:04
Last I heard, the days of "locking in" are now over. Not sure if anyone has confirmed this.

FireCaptKev
03-19-2010, 07:18
I did just that and about a month later. I get something from CFSM office w/ a carbon copy sheet w/ all the Fire Officer certs listed. A big squiggley line down all the boxes in the incomplete box (when I have half of the certs done).

That's all and nothing showing I'm locked in (is there a way to verify, other than maybe trying to get through w/ a phone call?)....:confused: Anyone else pay the fee and tried to get locked in and get verification of being so?

That carbon copy is your proof of being "locked in". It should say something on it about turning that sheet back in with copies of the certificates that it shows as being incomplete.

PACE II doesn't exist anymore. We had a Fire Intern who works for SFT and is now the person who looks at your application and checks off that you meet all of the qualifications. Remember, when submitting to become "Certified" (different than getting certificates), make sure you meet ALL of the requirements and submit all of the required certificates. Any certified position above FF2 requires a letter from your chief verifying Length of service in the fire service and could include specific requirements applicable to that certification (example Investigator 1 requires investigation for cause and origin of 100 fires).

mill98
03-20-2010, 11:49
Thanks for the info Capt...

Dave
03-20-2010, 14:44
FYI- http://osfm.fire.ca.gov/advisorycommittees/pdf/steac/focerttrack.pdf

Looks like there are some changes coming soon.