California Fire News  

Go Back   CALIFORNIA FIREFIGHTER.com- The California Fire Service Network > OPERATIONS SECTION (Primary Boards) > CERIFICATIONS, QUALIFICATIONS and CSFM STANDARDS

Old 12-18-2011, 15:51

Default Class C firefighter

I want to obtain my class c license with firefighter endorsement but the DMV didn't seem to have any helpful information. Do I need the license before I take the driver/operator 1A course? I've been having some trouble getting clear answers on what to do for licensing. Any help would be great!!
Old 12-18-2011, 16:51

Default Re: Class C firefighter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonB911 View Post
I want to obtain my class c license with firefighter endorsement but the DMV didn't seem to have any helpful information. Do I need the license before I take the driver/operator 1A course? I've been having some trouble getting clear answers on what to do for licensing. Any help would be great!!
Answer is in this thread;

**Internal Linking (Threads)
Old 06-14-2012, 13:50

Were you able to find out any information on the Class C FF license?
Old 06-14-2012, 14:45

Google this =======> State of california dmv firefighter endorsement

There are a host of links that explain the process.

The problems you may be encountering is that this is a recent policy change and the DMV office you visited are either out of practice or have never issued a FF endorsement according to the newest policy.
Old 06-14-2012, 16:30

Thanks for the input guys! I whent ahead and got my class B with tank and air brakes endorsement instead just in case. I know some departments want the Class B instead of the Class C restricted. Just whent to the dmv and got the hand book and studied that for a few days and took the test for the permit, contacted my battallion chief and got permission to start driving with supervision to take the license test in a couple months.
Old 06-14-2012, 16:41

Jon:

Master the walk-around inspection by following the step-by-step instructions in the DMV handbook. Practice everyday until you can do it while half asleep.

You will be tested on this before you drive by the DMV inspector.
Old 06-14-2012, 18:42

I've been told by folks the walk around is the hardest part. It has been explained to me as "When the DMV says do your walk around step for step as the book does, don't skip any step or the instructor stops you right there."
Old 06-15-2012, 09:09

You can miss 11 points, but mess up any part of COLA, you fail. So COLA hard.
Old 06-15-2012, 09:49

Remember, take all the endorsements you can for class B! If you want to add say, passenger or hazmat endorsement at a later date, you have to take all the tests over again, including the actual driving and walk-around!
Old 06-15-2012, 12:34

Driving part of the test is the easiest. Practice the skills test. Find a large parking lot and measure out the course. Measurements are found in the back of the handbook. Practice this until you can do this in your sleep.

COLA is pass/fail. Mess up and your done. Practice this every time you drive with your instructor.

Walk around is the hardest. Take your time and talk about everything you see and touch. EVERYTHING!! Be ready to explain anything you see and touch. Some testers want to know why your talking about it. A walk around should take at least 30 minutes usually closer to 45 minutes if done properly. Mess this up and you don't get to drive.

With a little digging the DMV score sheets can be found online, so you can have your dept. instructor score you and you will find out the areas you need to practice.

Take your time, it's not a race. You don't want to go to DMV more then once.

Good luck.